Saturday, August 16, 2014

Review: Deadly Little Secret (Touch #1) By: Laurie Faria Stolarz



Title: Deadly Little Secret (Touch #1)
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Published: December 23rd, 2008
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Source: Bought
Goodreads Summary:

Some secrets shouldn't be kept...

Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camellia’s life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help-but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.
From the best-selling author of Blue is for Nightmares comes a story of paranormal romance that's sure to be a thrilling and chilling teen favorite.

My Thoughts:

I have had this book on my shelf for so long and I finally got around to reading it, I haven’t read a paranormal book in a while so I was definitely in the mood for one. I will admit I was so hesitant when I first started this book because it started just like Twilight many of the beginning few chapters scenes mirroring scenes from Twilight, but it is very, very different and it was a great mix of mystery and paranormal that was fast paced, I really enjoyed it and I know that I will be continuing on with this series.

Camila is your average teenage girl until one day a mysterious boy keeps her from getting hit by a car in the school parking lot. She can’t get this boy out of her head, she finally founds out who he is Ben and he is the new guy at school that everyone is talking about, saying he killed his ex-girlfriend although it was said to be an accident. But, Camila is still thinking about Ben constantly. Suddenly mysterious photographs of Camilla with hearts around them start showing up in her mailbox and weird phone calls at all hours are being made to her house. Ben keeps telling her that she is danger and she doesn’t understand why, it is obvious he hiding something and she wants to find out what that is.

Camila was your typical paranormal romance heroine, she didn’t seem to know when she should be worried or scared, and that frustrated me a bit. I felt like she should have been more wary of the fact that she was receiving these weird stalker messages and also be more worried about being obsessed with Ben. I think what really kept me reading was the mystery of it all, as much as I was annoyed and frustrated at the fact that Camila was so curious about Ben, I felt the same way. I wanted to know more about him and I wanted to find out what he was hiding. I was wondering who was leaving her these creepy messages and calling her house all the time. It was really what kept me reading, I love a good mystery and I was not on the right track at all.


Overall, Deadly Little Secret is a typical paranormal romance and fits in perfectly to the genre, it was fast paced and mysterious and I will definitely be continuing on with the series. If you enjoy paranormal romance then check this series out!

4 comments:

  1. Camila is your average teenage girl until one day a mysterious boy keeps her from getting hit by a car in the school parking lot

    haha, very twilight like

    i think i'm going to skip this one. i was going to read it sometime but i have had enough of just okay , standard paranormal YA

    tnx for the review, kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is a very interesting book indeed
    I have been hearing so much about this series for years. So I was always a bit cautious around it
    Thanks for the awesome review
    your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been sharing so many great books lately, I love it! :D

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone out there hunting for something to read after Twilight or just looking for a great romantic/thrilling page turner. I cannot wait to see where this series will go.

    Gretta Hewson
    Spiritual Stories

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...