Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Review: Imaginary Girls By: Nova Ren Suma



Title: Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Published: June 14th, 2011
Source: Bought
My Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.

My Thoughts:

Imaginary Girls was one of those books where I thought the writing was so beautiful and descriptive but, the plot of the book was one of those books that when I thought about the plot it was just weird and times I really had no idea what was going on. I feel like I am going to have a hard time reviewing this one because I didn’t hate it but, I didn’t like it, I felt really weird about this book.

Chloe and Ruby are attached at the hip, Ruby is the oldest and she has taken care of Chloe for as long as she can remember. Everything changes one night when Chloe discovers her classmate dead in the middle of the lake after she takes a night swim trying to swim all the way across and back. After finding her classmate Chloe leaves the town to live with her dad.  But Ruby wants her sister back in town with her and Ruby finds out that everything isn’t as it seems.

Ruby was one of those characters that I didn’t really like, she was always the center of attention and Chloe never felt like she measured up to her and everyone was always obsessed with her sister. There was a supernatural vibe but, you never quite knew exactly what was going on. Normally it doesn’t bother me and I like the suspense but, in this case it was a bit confusing.

Overall, Imaginary Girls was one of those books that I could never completely get into. I liked her beautiful and descriptive writing but, it couldn’t make up for the confusing plot.   

1 comment:

  1. I was completely lost while reading this book. Although the writing was good I couldn't identify with the characters. I don't remember the plot much except that I ended up not liking this book at all.

    - Gayatri @ Notorious Writer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...