Monday, February 24, 2014

Love Triangles: My Thoughts and Favorites!

Now we all know that love triangles are huge in YA, they create the romantic drama that many people crave to read and although they are overdone we are all subjected into reading these books. I honestly don't hate love triangles. I enjoy choosing my favorite boy and contemplating which guy or girl would be best suited for the main character or myself. That being said they do get a little bit old but, I don't think that they will be going away anytime soon. The one thing that I hate about love triangles is when the take over the entire story and everything else gets pushed to the background. So today I am going to talk a little about some of my favorite triangles and the boys that I love the most.

There has always been a lot of criticism for love triangles in YA and I understand  most of it but, I don't think that they are as horrible as many people can make them out to be. I don't know about you guys but, when I was a teenager I had crushes on  more than one boy and I don't think that it is farfetched for that to happen YA but, their are so many stereotypes that get added in that make love triangles cheesy and not work. 

There is many stereotypes in love triangles that we tend to see  over and over again:

Bad Boy Vs. Good Boy
The Friend Vs. The New Boy

and many others, that make love triangles weary for readers. 




The Hunger Games: Peeta Vs. Gale

Many of us know how this story ends but, I remember reading the books and being a bit torn at times and wondering why Katniss had a hard time choosing between the two, Gale was her friend someone who knew her better than anyone else. I also felt like I could really feel Gale's emotions and what he felt for Katniss. I understood the triangle a bit more once Peeta and Katniss had went through their first games, they shared something that she could never explain to Gale and he could never really understand what she went through. That being said, I was always a Team Peeta girl their is just something about him that I just want to love, he seemed so kind and genuine whereas Gale seemed more tough and volatile. 




Unearthly Trilogy: Christian Vs. Tucker

No spoilers because I haven't finished the second  book (I have almost finished the audio) or third book, so I don't know who she chooses but, I am definitely Team Christian, I don't know why but I just don't have the feelings for Tucker. I like Christian, he seems charming to me and I really think he can relate to Clara better. I just need to finish the series so that I can find out which one she chooses.




 Infernal Devices: Will vs. Jem

Another series that I haven't finished, I just need to read Clockwork Princess. I am Team Will all the way. What can I say I am a sucker for the brooding boys. I think that Will is haunted and their is just something about him that I want to help him and fix him. Jem just doesn't interest me at all, I think he is just too nice for me.




Vampire Academy: Dimitri Vs. Adrian

My all time favorite series, I have always been in love with Dimitri and he is my ultimate book boyfriend. I love his and Rose's entire relationship. In the VA series I didn't like Adrian  he just seemed like a partying and sarcastic playboy. But, I have to say that he has definitely redeemed himself in Bloodlines, it just shows how amazing Richelle Mead's writing is that a boy I didn't love changed my mind about him!




The Selection: Maxon Vs. Aspen

I am Team Maxon all the way, I feel like Aspen had his chance with America and he messed it up. I adore Maxon, not because he is a prince but, just how open and honest he is with America and I cannot wait until The One comes out so I can find out how it all ends, plus the covers are so gorgeous!




Shatter Me Trilogy: Adam Vs. Warner

This love triangle in this series has me torn honestly. When I read the first book, I was Team Adam all the way. When I read Unravel Me I became a bit Team Warner but, not completely over Warner. I have Ignite Me but, I haven't gotten to it yet so I don't know how it goes and I will hopefully be reading it soon!




Soul Screamers Series: Nash Vs. Tod

I have really enjoyed this series and I have yet to read the last book but, eventually I will get around to it. I am sad that it is really ending. I don't want to spoil anything but, I will say that when their was a turning point in this triangle I was  devastated but, after taking some time I came to terms with things and I was actually surprised at how much my mind was changed and how happy I was with the outcome, which I don't know for sure is the final one!




The Iron Fey: Puck Vs. Ash

I loved both boys so much. They were so different and it was so hard to choose because they both possessed characteristics that the other one didn't and I wanted to make the two of them into one person and make the perfect guy!




The Chemical Garden Trilogy: Linden Vs. Gabriel

 I really enjoyed this series, I honestly really liked Linden and I felt for him because he wasn't this evil man who wanted wives held against their will to be married to him. He really began to have feelings for Rhine and I understood why she couldn't feel the same way about him. I never loved Gabriel but, I could see why Rhine had feelings for him. 




Throne Of Glass: Dorian Vs. Chaol

I am Team Chaol all the way, like I said above I am a sucker for the more brooding and mysterious type. But, when I think about how I love Chaol I also think about how sometimes a guy who lays it all on the table would make for a better relationship guy. But, Chaol and Celaena just have so much more chemistry together in my opinion which is  why I love reading scenes with the two of them in it. Since this series isn't completed we don't know what is going to happen in the end. 


3 comments:

  1. I'm not against love triangles, but I think they are overused in YA and usually stereotypical. These books show that you can have great love triangles. I mostly agree with you on the teams, although I'm totally team Warner:)

    Eveline's Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate love triangles for there are always someone in vain when there's the obvious from the start who will who end up with who. And I totally agree with your list!!! And between the good guy vs. bad guy, I hate it when it ends with the bad guy just because he is strong, has the oozing hotness and confidence MEH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I have to add it: Twilight. Edward, Bella and Jacob are my fave triangle. I love how it was solved :) Per the story, I am definitely Team Edward, but I like Taylor better than Robert. Sorry Rob.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...