Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: The Promise of Amazing By: Robin Constantine



Title: The Promise Of Amazing
Author: Robin Constantine
Published: December 31st, 2013
Source: E-Galley from Edelweiss
My Rating : 2.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.

My Thoughts:

The Promise of Amazing excited me by the completely adorable cover but, unfortunately that is about all it did for me. It was a quick read but, it didn’t really give me anything that I wanted from a contemporary. I have to admit I am picky, especially when it comes to contemps and one has to be really great for me to enjoy it but, I had to check it out because of the adorable cover and the story just fell flat for me.

Wren Caswell is the youngest of three siblings and is as her dad calls her “the easy child” Wren’s family owns a King Arthur themed catering hall and one night when she is waitressing she saves a boy from choking on a cocktail weenie, which begins a relationship between Wren and Grayson the boy she saved. Gray is a bit of a bad boy but, he hasn’t been that way since he was expelled from his private school and lost everything that mattered to him.

The main problem I had with Wren was that she was a bit boring, there was so many things that she wanted and she never once spoke up for herself. I don’t think that every MC needs to be a kick ass girl who takes charge but, it was hard to read about this girl who didn’t want to speak up for what she wanted out of her life. Grayson on the other hand was one of those guys who wasn’t strong enough to stand up against his friends and show people that he may have made a mistake but, he was willing to change.

Overall, The Promise Of Amazing was just your run of the mill contemporary read a love story that fell flat for me because I just couldn’t connect with the characters, it was just ok for me.

2 comments:

  1. This book is taking a beating in the review front…and I just bought it! Bah. Lol. Everyone pretty much has the same problems with it as you. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to feel bad for this book! Everyone was really looking forward to reading it, and it was really disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...