Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bookish Growth and Reading Tastes

Today, I wanted to talk about reading growth and bookish taste. I don’t what makes me feel like I have grown out of a book, while other series I could read a million times and never not enjoy it. The books that brought me back into reading  was Harry Potter and the Twilight series. I absolutely loved the Twilight series when I read it but, now years after I have read the series and the whole craze, I don’t love it as much as I used to. When I have seen the criticisms of the series and the reasons why people didn’t enjoy it or don’t like the series, I can see why and it has changed thoughts about the series now that I am older and haven’t read it in a few years.


On the other hand, Richelle Mead is one of my favorite authors and I love the Vampire Academy series and I try to read or listen to the series at least once a year. It is one of those series that no matter how many times I read it I still love, I haven’t grown out of my love for the series and no matter what I read about it I still really love it. I don’t know what changed for me with the Twilight series, maybe it was one of the first YA reads that I have read and maybe just the reawakening of my love of reading was overshadowed by some of the issues that were in the book that I didn’t notice at first.


Reading growth is something that I think is very important for a person who like us bookworms read a lot. I made one of my goals to read more from adult authors and read some of the series that I loved just for fun like the Stephanie Plum By: Janet Evanovich, and also Kay Scarpetta series by: Patricia Cornwell. I think that it is so important to read just for fun as a blogger. No pressure and no reviews. I haven’t read either of this series in such a long time and I can’t wait to read them again.


As a blogger I think many of us read so much and reading growth is inevitable. As someone reads so many books that are of their favorite genre or a lot of books from a certain genre, for example for me dystopians. I have higher standards and I feel like I do review books more harshly because I have read so many books from this genre and for a book to really blow me away it has to be very good and surpass so many of the other books that I have read in that genre.

How do you feel about your own bookish growth and reading tastes? Is there books that you once loved that no longer are your favorites? Have your reading tastes changed over the years? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I know I've definitely become harder to impress as I read more and more in the YA category. A book that before would have probably gotten a 4 is now more likely to get a 3 just because I've likely read something similar before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love this topic. I agree that bookish growth is a very important thing, and if I was stuck reading the same authors over and over, I don't think I would ever discover new ones. I think that's why I love book blogging, because it opened up my reading world to all these new authors. :)

    The way you are with dystopians is the way I am with mysteries. I love Agatha Christie and if a mystery book falls short of the well-crafted plot that I'm used to, I just feel disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...