Saturday, December 7, 2013

Allegiant Thoughts


Title: Allegiant (Divergent #3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: October 22nd, 2013
Buy The Book: Amazon/Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

My Thoughts:

Warning: If you haven’t read Allegiant or the Divergent series there may be spoilers ahead!

So, I feel like I am one of the last people to be posting my review of Allegiant but there was so much talking and buzz all over I wanted to let everything really sink in before I collected all of my thoughts and finally compiled them into this review. I was start out with I didn’t hate Allegiant but, I didn’t love it either. I felt like it was a great finish to the series and although the ending may have emotionally crippled me, I didn’t have strong feelings against many of the things that I felt other people did. I feel like I never write reviews with spoilers in them but, for me to really get out what I want to say and how I felt about this book I feel like it is necessary so read with caution, I didn’t write a true review but, I tried to get all of my thoughts together on Allegiant out and onto the page.
I will admit that I was so excited for the dual perspective and I couldn’t wait to get inside of Tobias’s head but honestly it was a bit disappointing because I felt like his chapters were just boring. I wanted to feel more personality when I read between him and Tris. I felt like Tris’s chapters were better if only for the fact that I was used to being in her head and I felt like Tobias really changed in this book and he became a bit more weak and timid then I was expecting. I felt like he really changed and I missed him, I understand that for them everything that they believed was completely thrown out the window when they found out about the experiments, the rest of the world, etc. But, I felt like he took everything so hard and I really missed the old Tobias from the previous books.

Now, I was bawling uncontrollably throughout most of the ending but, I think what upset me throughout most of the book we never really got to see Tris and Tobias together the way that I had wanted them to be over the course of the last two books. I wouldn’t have minded the ending if I would have felt like the two of them finally got to be together, I was so mad about that I wanted more of them being a couple before they were ripped away from each other. I think I just wanted more interaction between the two of them period.

I know so many people have such strong feelings about this ending with most people disliking it but for me I didn’t hate it and it didn’t come as such as surprise to me although I don’t really know why. I felt like Tris’s personality really lends to what happened in the end and although I didn’t want it to happen, I felt like it made sense that it did. Of course in my own head I wanted the two of them to be able to live together happily ever after but, honestly in the real world that isn’t what usually happens.

I have watched veronica’s interviews on the ending and I have also read her blog post on why and the explanation of the ending and I felt like she did a great job of really explaining why she did what she did and where Tris’s character was and made it all make sense for me even more and helped me comes to terms with how she ended it. I will admit that at times I was upset at people for hating the ending or the book because of what Roth did. I feel like she shared her gift with the world and let us get inside her head. These were her characters and I fell in love with them all but, I couldn’t fault her for choosing to end the series the way she did. Of course everyone has the right to their own opinions and to be upset because it’s not what they wanted to happen in the end but, I felt like once she really explained her though process I respected the ending even more.

Overall, the book didn’t give me the feelings the last two books did and I didn’t enjoy the plot as much as the others. I wanted this book to be epic and so memorable but, for me it was the book I enjoyed the least out of the whole series. I was honestly bored at times and wasn’t as engaged as I had been with the previous books. The ending of course made the book much more epic and definitely gave me more thoughts on the whole book and on the whole series. I applaud Roth for writing an amazing series and doing something that maybe all authors aren’t strong enough to do with their characters, I definitely can’t wait for the movies and to see what Veronica Roth does next, I hope you enjoyed my rant and it made a little bit of sense to someone LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...