Saturday, July 20, 2013

Review: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone #1) By: Leigh Bardugo





Title: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published: June 5th ,2012
Source: Bought
Buy The Book: Amazon/ Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!
Goodreads Summary:

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unraveling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

My Thoughts:

  Amazing!!! I know I am one of the last people to read this one and  I had a feeling I would be wondering why I waited so long to read it but, I am just glad that I finally get to understand why everyone loves this book and I am definitely a huge fan of Leigh Bardugo and this series!

I had a feeling before I read this one that I was going to enjoy it because after I started blogging and branching out my reading genre's I found out I really enjoy high fantasy, Bardugo did an amazing job with the world building I felt like I got a feel for where Alina was living but, it never felt overcomplicated or confusing. The story is essentially good vs. evil and the aspects of light and dark are such literal concepts of it but, I enjoyed that it didn't have to be complicated to be amazing.  The only confusing aspect of the story for me was remembering what each type of Grisha's powers were and figuring  out which names went with which type. 

Alina was one of those characters that I couldn't imagine anyone not liking or being able to relate to,  growing up  an orphan the one person she relied on her whole life was her best friend Mal, they had such a strong bond with each other although it may have taken Mal a while to realize how much they really needed each  other, they were adorable. Now, onto Darkling  I was captivated by him the same as  Alina was when she met him, he was mysterious and I was dying to know more about him and I do admit that I am not usually perceptive or good at guessing  what is going to happen most of the time so, I was a bit surprised at where Bardugo took the story and Darkling's involvement.  I don't want to go too much into the plot only because I feel like everyone has read this one and if you haven 't read this one yet, stop reading my review and read this book right now!!

Overall, Shadow and Bone was the perfect read. I have to add one little side note I am absolutely in love with Leigh Bardugo's  author picture, it's beautiful! I am really excited to read Siege and Storm but, I have heard there is a cliffhanger ending so as much as I want to dive right in and read it, I am going to make myself wait so I won't  be dying until Rise and Ruin comes out!

Want some more thoughts on Shadow and Bone? Check out the links below!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I really loved the characters and the unique setting in this book :) Siege and Storm is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I do recommend waiting until Rise & Ruin...I am dying over that ending to Siege & Storm, though I'm glad I got to meet the fabulous Sturmhond. :) You're really missing out if you haven't met him yet. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the play between Alina and Mal and Alina and the Darkling-a very intriguing twist on the love triangle and my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...