Friday, March 15, 2013

Review: Hooked (Hooked #1) By: Liz Fichera



Title: Hooked (Hooked #1)
Author: Liz Fichera
Published: January 29th, 2013
My Rating: 3 out 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

My Thoughts:

I really wanted to love this book, the idea of romance and gold definitely intrigued me and I really like having sports in my stories and  I was really excited, unfortunately this book lacked the romance I was hoping for but, it did include the sports aspect that I was hoping for. Fichera created an intense book that was what I was expecting on the contemporary side  but, lacked the romance that I look for when reading this type of book.

Fred Oday is an amazing golfer, a proud Native American living on a reservation in Arizona. Golf is her escape, from school, her life, and her family. Her life isn't everything she wants it to be, living on the reservation in a trailer is not her dream. Her father works as a maintenance man for the golf course in town which is how Fred gets to practice as much as she does. Her mom is a waitress at the most expensive restaurant  in town but, she has a drinking problem which has taken a toll on Fred and her family. Fred goes to the local public school and was recruited over the summer by the boy's golf coach to join the team because they don't have a girl's team. Golf is something Fred is amazing at and she wants to use her skills to get a scholarship for college. But, golf and life are not going to give Fred an easy time and she learns more than she ever thought that she could. 

Fred was one of those characters that I wanted to like but, honestly it was hard to. She wasn't the strong girl I wanted her to be, joining the boy's golf team and kicking ass. She was weak and she didn't stand up for herself when the boys made fun of her but, her golf skills did speak for themselves while she was better than most of the guys on the team. She had a lot to deal with in her life but, she just let everyone push her around and it drove me crazy.

Fred's love interest was Ryan, another boy on the golf team and the book is told from his perspective and also Fred's. I didn't swoon over him but, I did feel like he was a real and believable teenage boy. He liked Fred but his friends made fun of her and didn't like her. so of course he didn't want to admit that he wanted to be with her for most of the book. I really felt like that aspect was real because as a teenager your friends and what they think mean everything to you. 

Overall, Hooked wasn't the sports contemporary romance that I was looking for, but it was still enjoyable. I wanted more romance and much of it didn't happen until almost the end of the book which is was really disappointed me I wanted to read more of that! I have heard that this book is going to be a series of companion novels set in the same high school I think, I am not sure if I will read the next one, but I just  might.

Want to learn some more about Hooked? Check out the links below!

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised by how much I liked the golf aspect in this book considering the fact that I think golf is incredibly boring to watch. But Fichera did a great job of making that interesting-wish every aspect had been so well handled.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...