Monday, February 4, 2013

Review: Revolution 19 By: Gregg Rosenblum



Title: Revolution 19
Author: Gregg Rosenblum
Published:  January 8th, 2013
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Twenty years ago, the robots designed to fight our wars abandoned the battlefields. Then they turned their weapons on us.

Only a few escaped the robot revolution of 2071. Kevin, Nick, and Cass are lucky —they live with their parents in a secret human community in the woods. Then their village is detected and wiped out. Hopeful that other survivors have been captured by bots, the teens risk everything to save the only people they have left in the world—by infiltrating a city controlled by their greatest enemies.

Revolution 19 is a cinematic thriller unlike anything else. With a dynamic cast of characters, this surefire blockbuster has everything teen readers want—action, drama, mystery, and romance. Written by debut novelist Gregg Rosenblum, this gripping story shouldn’t be missed

My Thoughts:

I was so excited to read this book when I first heard about it last year, for me it was something different for the dystopia genre and I was so interested in the robot aspect of it that I couldn't wait to read it. But, unfortunately for me this book was not the robot dystopia that I was hoping it was going to be. Rosenblum created a great cast of characters that made me very happy to read about because it wasn't your typical YA cast. The three characters that we follow on our journey are Cass, Kevin, and Nick, two brothers and a sister. I loved that there was a family dynamic and it wasn't going to be a misguided love triangle throughout the entire book, that being said for a dystopia book it was extremely subdued. I was expecting tons of action and adventure, robot fighting, and there wasn't much of that at all.

As the story begins we get a bit of a prologue that set up the family that we would be following and gave us a bit of insight into what happened to make the world the way that it was. The robots were originally created by humans until they decided to fight back, they in turn took over the human race and came to power. We are then thrown forward to current times where we meet Kevin, Nick, and Cass, as well as their parents. They are living in the wilderness. They are hiding from the robots, not wanting to be a part of their city. All the kids have ever known is living at their compound that they call Freeposts, they all work together and help each other and have created a very normal society in my opinion. Each of the siblings has their own distinct personalities and I was immediately interested in each of them in different ways. One night everything changes, their freepost is found and is decimated. The siblings luckily escape and retreat to their back up hideout in which they were told to go to meet up in case of this exact event happening. To their dismay their parents are nowhere to be found, but they refuse to believe that they are gone. They take it upon themselves to find the robot city and find their parents. The adventure really doesn't begin until they reach the robot city, and I mean adventure in the tamest way possible. The robot city didn't seem to be horrible at all, I imagined that robots would be using humans as slaves and making their lives horrible but in reality they were more or less just regulating them and to use the words of the robots keeping the humans from the violence that they inflict upon each other. Personally sometimes I  feel like that wouldn't be such a bad idea. The ending was left open for a sequel, although I don't know if one is planned. 

Overall, this book would be great for a younger audience, a great opening into the dystopia genre without the confusing government and future aspects that many dystopia have, there really was not much romance at all which normally would make me kind of happy but, the adventure of this book was so meek that I found myself wishing for something to distract me and make the book a little bit more exciting. So, if you were looking for a exciting and eventful robot dystopia unfortunately in my opinion Revolution 19 doesn't give that to the reader but, for the younger audience I think that this would be a great read!

Want some more Thoughts? Check out these fellow blogger's reviews!

Working For The Mandroid
Good Books Good Wine
Reading Lark
BookNook

1 comment:

  1. I like complicated books and lots of romance, so I think I might skip this book...

    Thank you for sharing you thoughts!!!
    I am a new follower (:

    Please follow back ^_^
    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...