Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Review: Fever (Chemical Garden #2) By: Lauren DeStefano



Title: Fever (Chemical Garden Trilogy #2)
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Published: February 21st, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever
.

My Thoughts:

I was so excited to read this one after reading Wither, I was enchanted by  Lauren Destefano's storytelling, she manages to weave together a story that when I began to read I completely lost sense of everything else and I couldn't put the book down!

Rhine and Gabriel have finally escaped from the mansion and Rhine is determined to show Gabriel all of the things of the world that he has been missing out on being locked up in the mansion. But, as their journey begins we find out that escaping out into the world for these two. Right away as they have finally escaped they are thrown into a creepy carnival where they are held hostage by a Scarlet District Madame who knows that she can fetch a good price for Rhine and she is determined to get her money's worth. Stuck in the twisted world of this Madame Gabriel is forced into a haze of drugs and unconsciousness, I was really surprised at how graphic and to me a bit depressing this book was compared to first one, it was so much more raw and gritty then the first and you really get to see what their world has come to and I really liked that we got to see more of the dystopia aspect of the book then we did in the previous book, where they were shut up in the mansion. As Rhine and Gabriel escape from the carnival and the Madame, their adventure to reach New York and for Rhine to finally find her brother. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, I have to admit not as much as the first only because it felt so much more gritty and dark, their seemed to be the lack of hope you felt from Rhine in the first one that she would escape and be back with her brother again. I have loved getting to follow Rhine with her journey and I can't wait to read Sever and find out the conclusion of what will happen to Rhine and her life, Lauren DeStefano is an amazing writer and with her storytelling is awesome and I can't wait to read anything that she writes!

Want some more thoughts? Check out some fellow blogger's reviews!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't get into this one as much either, but still really enjoyed and super eager to read the next one.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I liked the first one more too but the ending of this book ensured that I'll be back for the concluding book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so much words can't even describe I can't wait to read the next book and see how it turns out!!! I shepherding this and the series Is one of my faves!

    Maycee Greene (Merchant Cash Advance)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes without saying that I am absolutely dying to read book three. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to wait to find out what happens next!

    Cleo Rogers Canadian Discount Gift Basket Company

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...