Monday, October 29, 2012

Review: Streamline By: Jennifer Lane



Title: Streamline
Author: Jennifer Lane
Published: March 27th, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!
Goodreads Summary:

Seems like Leo Scott has it all: looks, brains, and athletic talent. He's captain of his high school swim team with a bright future in college and beyond. But Leo has secrets. His mother's crippling car accident has devastated his family and left Leo to deal with his father's abuse, battered and alone.

Leo's girlfriend Audrey Rose is poised for her own share of success. As one of Florida's top high school swimmers, Audrey dreams of college swimming stardom. But there's an obstacle to her glorious rise to the top. Her number-one supporter-her father-is in prison for murder.

Part murder mystery, part tale of young love in a military family, this gripping story takes readers on a journey from Pensacola to Annapolis. Leo and Audrey must band together to rise above the adversity they encounter and find their true selves in the process. When everything's on the line . . . streamline
.

My Thoughts:

I received this book from the author in exchange for review.

Ok, so let me say first of all I really loved this book! I don't even know where to start with this review because it was so packed, so much happened throughout this story and it was such a powerful read. I was so excited to read this one because swimming is a important aspect of this book and I have been a swimmer since I was in elementary school. It played to my love of swimming and it made me enjoy this book even more. Jennifer Lane took me on a journey through Leo's life from love, loss, addiction, and abuse I felt so immersed in his life that I was right there with him and I enjoyed it all. Plus, I was absolutely in love with the cover which made me so much more excited to read this one.

One of the most interesting aspects of this book in my opinion was the narration, you go to see the point of view of so many of the characters throughout this story from Leo, to his mother, father, brother, his girlfriend, and her family. It sounds like a lot of people for one story I know but, it really worked well for this book. At the heart of everything is our main character Leo, he is a perfectionist and all he wants to do is make is Navy commander father proud. He is an amazing swimmer who has a great future ahead of him. He is adorably in love with his girlfriend Audrey, they had a great relationship and they were so cute to read about. 

Something that I enjoyed that I felt is not a big enough presence in YA books was family. In many of the books that I have read in this genre. Parents are nonexistent, it was nice to read something different for a change and see a book about a whole family functional or not. 

Overall, Jennifer Lane has created a an amazing YA book, it was full of heartbreak, triumph, healing, and pain. It was one of those books that after  I read it I had to sit there and digest the story I just read, it was such a memorable and powerful story. I highly recommend this one although some of the themes in this book are suited for older people, but nonetheless a great read!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds good.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin swimmergirl, thanks so much for your review! I totally agree with you about YA books glossing over family, and I wanted to rectify that omission. Happy swimming!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...