Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6) By: Rachel Vincent


Title: Before I Wake ( Soul Screamers #6)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Published: June 26th, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school


Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life
.

My Thoughts:

If you haven't read If I Die, there will be spoilers from it and the previous books in the series.

Ok, I absolutely have loved this whole entire series but, I have to admit, this book was not my favorite. I almost wished that it had ended with If I Die. I feel like it's the same old story in every book. Kaylee and the gang keep fighting Avari over and over, they beat him but, its only a matter of time before he is back again.

Kaylee is dead, but because of her deal she is now working in the reclamation department and living a normal "life" being dead without really being dead. She is dealing with all of the aftermath and fall out from If I Die, she is going back to school and trying to live her normal life but, it all may not be as easy as it sounds.

Ok, I have to admit I have always been Team Nash all the way, even after If I Die. I have never been a huge fan of Tod, I don't know why but I just love Nash. I know he hasn't been the most perfect person and he has let Kaylee down and has had his issues. But, I really felt for him in the last book and especially in this one. I kind of feel like she abandoned Nash when he needed her the most. But despite all that I still enjoyed Before I wake. 

Kaylee definitely has a full plate in this book, having to juggle having a normal life when she is anything but, normal. Her classmates are gawking at her every chance they get. Her relationship with Nash is completely broken and she doesn't know how to fix it. On the bright side her relationship with Tod is growing everyday and she has a person in her life that she can face eternity with. I couldn't imagine going through everything that she has went through in this series. Having to deal with being dead and going around pretending like everything is normal has got to be tough. Everything that mattered in her life before doesn't matter anymore, she will never be able to grow up, get married, or have  a family. She is just finally realizing what it means to be dead and what the future holds for her.

Overall, this one was just ok for me, I didn't get overly excited while I was reading and I didn't feel like the story really went anywhere amazing. After reading If I Die and being completely blown away with everything that happened and the changes that happened in that book, I was disappointed. I still love Rachel Vincent and all of the characters that she created, I am ready to read the last book and say goodbye to some of my favorite YA characters, only because I feel like their stories have been told. Another enjoyable chapter in the Soul Screamer's series, if you love this series you will definitely love this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...