Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Pretties (Uglies #2) By: Scott Westerfeld



Title: Pretties (Uglies #2)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Published: November 1st, 2005
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed Pretties almost as much as I loved Uglies but, I think that I loved Uglies just a little more. I am still amazed at how well Scott Westerfeld has created a world that completely engrosses me and leaves me wanting to read more and more about it every time. 

Tally has become Pretty, I really loved getting to see the change in Tally from Uglies and how the operation really changes a person when they become Pretty. Tally doesn't remember anything that happened before the operation, why she returned to the city to become Pretty was completely changed her mind and she believes that she had always wanted to become Pretty. Everything changes when she receives the letter she wrote herself about why she turned herself in to become Pretty and what was really going on with the operation. Everything begins to become "bubbly" as they call it, when your mind becomes clear. Now, she knows what it means to be pretty and she is determined to save everyone she can from being a mindless Pretty. Along with a new love interest and some old friends from Uglies, Tally again has to face it all over again.

I loved watching Tally transform into a even stronger character in this book although, it almost seems impossible that she could be any tougher she definitely is. Once she is able to get glimpses into her memory and remember everything that happened when she was ugly, she is back on her mission and determined to not give up. She is not afraid to take a chance or a risk for her friends and the people she cares about and I love that fierceness about her. She fights her own mind and it seemed like it would have been so easy for her to just let it all go and forget it all and just live the life the government has given her and not fight back. 

She now has a new love interest who I honestly loved soo much more then David. Zane is a fellow pretty and leader of the clique that Tally, Shay, and Peris join, The Crims. Zane and Tally's relationship moved fast but was so strong because they were fighting for their minds together only sharing their secrets with each other and I really loved how much Zane encouraged Tally throughout their whole journey together and  I don't believe she could have done  any of it without him. Although for you guys who are Team David there is a little bit of him in this book but not much. But I am proud to say that I am definitely Team Zane. 

Overall, Pretties was a great middle series book, it just the right amount of action and suspense and really opened up the plot for the last book, although I definitely have a feeling of where the last book will be going I can't wait to see how it all ends and whether or not Tally and her fight against the government is won. If you enjoyed Uglies, you will definitely enjoy this one which has a few of our old friends and many more new characters to love. 

Happy Reading!
Kristin

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this series, but my favorite was Uglies for sure!

    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my post here: http://theapbookclub.blogspot.com/2012/08/versatile-blogger-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this series but I'd like to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good I like it it's an interesting dystopian

      Delete
  3. Some article is becoming real. Yes many youngsters are getting inspired to a certain level and end up trying the stunts which are written by an author.
    young adult book reviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...