Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: The Lifeguard By: Deborah Blumenthal



Title: The Lifeguard
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Published: March 6th, 2012
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with Pilot, the lifeguard with shamanic skills. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.

My Thoughts:

I received this book from the publisher from Netgalley in exchange for review.

This book really surprised me! I wasn't  quite sure what I was going to get when I saw this one, thinking it would be a great read for the summer, I decided to check it out. I really enjoyed it, it was quick read for me finishing it in one day but, I wasn't expecting to like it so much, I was pleasantly suprised.

Our main character Sirena has gone to stay at her aunt's beachside home for the summer after finding out that her parents are getting divorced.  Excited to be spending her summer at the beach she plans on becoming a strong swimmer and spending every day on the beach. While running along the beach she first encounters Pilot, the good-looking and magnetizing beach lifeguard.  

Sirena was such an endearing main character, she is young and trying to deal with the fact that her parents are getting divorced and when she goes home at the end of the summer, her life is going to change. Throughout the book, you really saw how she began to mature and grow all thanks to this summer and the people she met along the way. Her aunt was such an awesome mentor for her in so many ways. Forcing Sirena to go to the local hospital and volunteer and not letting her get away with having an easy summer. The only thing that really disappointed me was how her relationship and feelings for the lifeguard were portrayed. She first meets Pilot when she is taking a run along the beach and almost steps on a sea anenomie. At first, I thought that it was just Sirena's first crush. Daydreaming about Pilot and how good looking he is. (something I think every teenage girl does) But, she eventually becomes completely obsessed with him after only having a few interactions with him. I kept wondering why she was completely enthralled with this guy when she barely knew him at all and it was seeming a little stalkerish. But, I was beginning to become curious of Pilot in the same ways that she was. Wondering who he was and picturing him in my own head. By the end of the book, you really see how much this one summer has changed her and how she has grown up. Learning so much about life and the things she wants from it, from the people she met over her one summer at the beach. 

Overall, this book was a great summer read! A quick but, fast paced read that really kept my attention and I genuinely enjoyed completely. Although I wished the ending has a little bit more, it definitely made me want to go to the beach and meet a hot lifeguard myself! (A girl can dream right?) I recommend this one for anyone who loves a contemporary read with bits of fantasy and paranormal aspects thrown in. Check this one out!

Happy Reading!
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! I'm not a big reader and I picked up this book and didn't put it down for two days. There were just so many surprises and things that kept making you read on. I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for a good summer read!

    Zia
    Heard about Decking Ipe for sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...