Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Dancergirl (WiHi #1) By: Carol M.Tanzman


Title: Dancergirl (Wihi #1)
Author: Carol M. Tanzman
Published: November 15, 2011
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Ever feel like someone's watching you? Me, too. But lately it's been happening in my room.
When I'm alone.
A friend posted a video of me dancing online, and now I'm no longer Alicia Ruffino. I'm dancergirl. And suddenly it's like me against the world. everyone's got opinions.
My admirers want more, the haters hate, my best friend Jacy, even he's acting weird. And some stalker isn't content to just watch anymore.
Ali. Dancergirl. Whatever you know me as, however you've seen me online, I've trained my whole life to be the best dancer I can be. But if someone watching has their way, I could lose way more than just my love of dancing. I could lose my life.

My Thoughts:

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant in going into this one, I am a big baby and I am freaked out by scary realistic things like a stalker, but I wanted to give this one a try and read something a little bit out of my comfort zone and try something new. I am really glad that I did because although the idea of a stalker scares me to death, I didn't have as hard of a time reading this book as I thought that I would and I enjoyed most of it a lot. 

We first meet our main character Alicia Ruffino or Ali as everyone calls her and her best friend Jacy, Ali is a dancer, and I a good one at that (or at least that was the feeling that I got) She is just a normal teenager, going to school and dance classes and living her life. One of her friends Charlie takes a video of a concert that they all had went to and see's Ali dancing with her friends and comes up with an idea. He wants to make videos of Ali dancing but, he wants it to seem like he is doing it secretly and that she doesn't know she is being videotaped. Ali agrees thinking it might just be some fun little thing to do. Charlie posts the video on "Zube" and comes up with a screen name for himself Shyboy and calling Ali Dancergirl. The idea is that he is Shyboy and has a crush on Dancergirl who doesn't even know he exists. The video's become super popular and even go viral on the site with Charlie convincing Ali to do a few more. As more videos are done Ali becomes somewhat of a star and famous. Nobody else but Ali and her close friends know that the videos aren't real. Everywhere she goes people are talking about her, looking at her like they know her secrets. It was all just a fun idea until Ali finds out she has a stalker and the posting videos on the internet takes a dark turn. 

I really loved Ali's character, her love for dance is portrayed beautifully by Tanzman throughout the book. I could really feel what Ali felt when she dances and I could picture in my head what she looked like while she was doing it. Tanzman weaves words together so beautifully to give the reader a beautiful picture in their mind of Ali. I enjoyed learning about all of Ali's friends who were interesting and going thorough different things in their own rights and I liked that we learned a little about each of them, something you wouldn't know by just looking at a person. The idea of a stalker because of these video's was such an interesting idea for me, I like that it was something that I could understand actually happening and not a far fetch not possible idea. This really could happen to anyone who did something similar. The only disappoints for me was the ending. I don't know what I was expecting at the end, it was predictable but, I don't know how else it could have been done. I liked that the whole entire book was not completely focused on the idea that she had a stalker, there was other events going on that kept your interest and kept the book from feeling like it was dragging the idea of a stalker out for too long.

If you enjoy a contemporary book with a bit of thrills and suspense, then this one is for you. Not overly scary this book does remind me of why sometimes having everything out on the internet for the world to see might not always be such a good thing.

Happy Reading!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...