Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) By: Cassandra Clare


Title: City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published:  May 8th, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon. Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?     Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.
My Thoughts:

I was really excited to read this one, I absolutely love the whole series and I was immediately pulled back into the Shadowhunter world and all of the ups and downs of the amazing characters that Clare has created. To me no matter how long it has been since I have read the last book in this series, I connect right back with all of the characters that I have loved throughout this series. 

City of Lost Souls starts off immediately after the end of  City of Fallen Angels, Sebastian is alive and has taken Jace with him. The whole gang is desperately trying to find out where they are, to stop Sebastian and save Jace's life. Although, they don't quite know how to do it, Jace and Sebastian are not linked together, any harm that comes to Sebastian will harm Jace in the same way.
I really enjoyed reading this one, maybe even my favorite out of the series so far. Part of the reason that I loved it so much was we really got to learn more about all of the characters, Clary and Jace were still the main focus of the story but, I really loved getting to dive in deeper to the lives of Jordan and Maia, Magnus and Alec, and Isabelle and Simon. Isabelle has always been one of my favorite characters of the series, I love her because she hard and tough, funny, and beautiful. She is finally coming to terms with the fact that she is in love with Simon. As much as she hates to admit that she has feelings for him she really grows in this  book. She has her hard and tough exterior but, deep down she is just like every other girl, she likes a boy and she just wants to like him back. She became much more endearing in my eyes, showing her weaknesses and  making me laugh out loud as she came to terms with her relationship with Simon. Simon is also coming to terms with himself as a vampire, his mother won't see him and is convinced he is nothing but a monster. His  character seemed really strong and tough in this book, he always is willing to help Clary in any way that he can and I really felt like he came into his own and finally showed the world how tough and strong he really is. Next, we had Alec and Magnus, the couple I love! Magnus has always been one of my favorite characters to imagine in my heard, completely over the top from head to toe, I always picture his crazy outfits and hair, which always make me smile. Their relationship definitely hit a rough patch in this one, Alec is having to come to terms with the facts that Magnus is immortal and while Alec grows old and his life ends, Magnus will always look the same to him, I am really curious to see what will happen with them in the future. Jordan and Maia, are probably my least favorite  characters in the book, it might just be that I am not as attached to them as  I am to the rest of the characters but, I honestly was not super interested in their stories and finding out more about the two of them. Clary and Jace of course, were still definitely my favorite couple of the book. I love Jace and all of the comments he makes about his good looks they always make me smile and make the book just that much more fun to read. The Jace we get to see in this one is not the boy we all love and swoon over. He is being controlled by Sebastian so, although he is still Jace, he isn't the real Jace and I missed the relationship that him and Clary have in the other books. 

Overall, this book is just another  awesome read! It had all of the amazing things we love about The Mortal Instruments series, humor, action, romance, and relationships, this one has something for every person who loves this series no matter which characters are your favorite. I recommend this one to everyone who loves the series, you will not be disappointed  by how the story progresses. If you haven't read this series yet, I definitely say that you should go out and get yourself a copy of City of Bones, you won't regret it!

Happy Reading!
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I cannot wait for more! Love these books! I highly recommend these books to all teens & adults. Great series!

    Marlene Detierro (Local SEO Dallas)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...