Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) By: Josephine Angelini



Title: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)

Author: Josephine Angelini

Published: May 31st, 2011

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!!

Goodreads Summary:

Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?

My Thoughts:

I absolutely loved this  book and I have to say that so far it is my favorite one that I have read this year. Granted I don't know a lot about Greek Mythology so I don't know how true and accurate it was to the stories but, from what I do know it seemed to follow them well. This book had everything that I have come to love from YA books. It had action, love, mystery, and heartbreak.
Our main character Helen Hamilition is just a normal 16 year old girl. She grew up on the small island of Nantucket with her dad. Her mother left when she was just a baby, taking pictures, memories, and anything that could remind Helen or her dad of who she was. Helen has always felt ackward and different from her peers, a smart and beautiful girl to everyone else, but herself. All she knows is that whenever too much attention is drawn to her she gets this horrible cramps, that make her think she has anxiety and panic attacks. She has her dad and her best friend since birth Claire, who get her through everything. Until a new family the Delos, moves to the island and everyone seems to be interested in them and talking about them. Helen doesn't know why but, the mention of them by anyone seems to make her angry and upset and she doesn't understand why. That is until the first time she see's Lucas Delos, the moment Helen meets his eyes across the hallway of their high school, she is overcome with anger and rage. She see's three weeping sisters, who are whispering her angry words of violence and murder, Furies as we later find out they are called. Helen doesn't understand what's going on but, what she does know is that she has to kill him, so she attacks Lucas in front of everyone in her whole school standing by watching.

There was so many great supporting characters in this book and I loved them all. One of my favorites by far was Helen's best friend Claire. She is a 5'2 Japanese fireball. She was smart and tough, but she added humor into the story. Also, she was an am a  zing best friend and she stuck by Helen through everything. 

I loved the romance in this story, I am going to try to be a little vague because I don't want to ruin the story for everyone who hasn't read it and I really want everyone to read it lol. Lucas and Helen are attracted to each other and that is obvious from the first time they meet but, they also have a strong urge to kill each other. Meeting the Delos family, changes Helen's whole life and everything she thought she knew about herself and her life compeletely changed the second they walked into her life.

Overall, this book was an awesome read and I highly recommend it! If you like Greek Mythology I think you will love this book. It had a little bit of everything in it and I could not put it down. I loved it so much I read it in just about a day. Check it out! If you have read it too I would love to know your thoughts I am curious to know what other people thought and did they love it as much as I did.

Happy Reading!
Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog-I returned the follow!

    I really liked the writing of this too. I had trouble putting it down and was able to read through it very fast because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love books that have a bit of Greek mythology in them! Will have to check this out :)
    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! This book and it's sequel have been sitting on my self waiting to be read for a long time now. I currently finished my book and I'm looking for something new so I'm going to have to pick this one up! I'm a huge mythology nerd, especially Greek, and so I think I need to get started :) Thanks! New follower :)

    Allison
    imabibliophobic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...