Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: The Book Of Blood And Shadow By: Robin Wasserman



Title: The Book Of Blood And Shadow
Author: Robin Wasserman
Published: April 10th, 2012
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary: 

It was like a nightmare, but there was no waking up. When the night began, Nora had two best friends and an embarrassingly storybook one true love. When it ended, she had nothing but blood on her hands and an echoing scream that stopped only when the tranquilizers pierced her veins and left her in the merciful dark.

But the next morning, it was all still true: Chris was dead. His girlfriend Adriane, Nora’s best friend, was catatonic. And Max, Nora’s sweet, smart, soft-spoken Prince Charming, was gone. He was also—according to the police, according to her parents, according to everyone—a murderer.

Desperate to prove his innocence, Nora follows the trail of blood, no matter where it leads. It ultimately brings her to the ancient streets of Prague, where she is drawn into a dark web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all driven by a mad desire to possess something that might not even exist. For buried in a centuries-old manuscript is the secret to ultimate knowledge and communion with the divine; it is said that he who controls the Lumen Dei controls the world. Unbeknownst to her, Nora now holds the crucial key to unlocking its secrets. Her night of blood is just one piece in a puzzle that spans continents and centuries. Solving it may be the only way she can save her own life.

My Thoughts:

As I am sure many of you have heard this book is the Da Vinci Code for YA books and although I have only seen the movie I definitely agree! This book was full of mystery, suspense, and adventures spanning across the world. For me, it started off a little slow but, the action then picked up and I couldn't put the book down.

We first meet Nora, and her two best friends Adriane and Chris. You get to know Nora more personally considering she is the main character but, you get to see her friends through her eyes and how important and how much they mean to her. The mystery begins with Nora, Chris, and Chris's roommate being research assistants for a college professor who is deciphering a centuries old code to find its meaning and  solve the mystery of something called the Lumus Dei. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to ruin the mystery of it all for you guys. But needless to say I was very interested in it, although sometimes it got to be a little confusing.

When Nora's best friend Chris is murdered, everyone involved begins to realize that what they were researching was much more important to some people then they ever thought possible. This was where the adventure really started and twisting all the way around the world to Prague ( which is somewhere I have always wanted to visit) There was a few surprises in store for the reader even, some that I wasn't expecting that really kept me reading and interested in the story.

Overall, I really liked this book and there was only one thing that really bothered me about it and that was how easily finding some of the clues seemed to be for them, it almost seemed too easy and sometimes I was saying to myself "Really, that's all it took for you to figure it out" But, despite that aspect I enjoyed the book. It had a few surprise characters in it and was definitely a suspenseful read. I recommend this book to anyone who obviously liked The Da Vinci Code and anybody who enjoys a suspenseful mystery full of history, religion, and a little bit of romance thrown in there. 

Happy Reading!
Kristin

7 comments:

  1. Hi!! Kristin.Thank you for the amazing comment on my blog...I'm following you back.Nice review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds like an interesting premise. I definitely feel your pain about clues being too easy to find/solve, though--it can be an issue across this genre.

    Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Never heard of it but now I want to read it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! I love how real the characters were and how likable despite the action plot. I also enjoyed the secret society:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this one on hold at my library, and I am definitely excited to read it. I loved The Da Vinci Code, so if this is at all like that one I have no doubt that I will enjoy this one as well. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a new title to me and I was curious about it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I am definitely adding this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a chapter or two of The Book of Blood and Shadow a couple of days ago, but couldn't get into it for some reason. I'll definitely be giving it another try now, though, especially since you had a similar problem. It sounds like an interesting read! Oh and great Q&A! I loved the little tidbit about Prague...what an cool story.

    regards,
    grace of NC Photo Booth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...